Excellent Question! The answer to this question depends on 3 things:
- If you have a listing agent then they should explain how to get your
home ready for Home Inspections.
- If your are the buyer and you have a real estate agent helping you
through the buying process, then they should be in contact with the Seller’s Agent
to make sure the home is ready for your Home Inspection.
- If you really want to know then call Melanie at Spradling Home Inspections 573-268-0780 and she
will walk you through everything you need to know to make the process run smoothly.
How to Prepare Your Home for a Home Inspection
- Make sure your electric, water, and gas are turned on. Believe it or not, after scheduling home inspections,
the house still is not ready and it causes delays in inspecting and slows the process down.
- Furnace: Clear all items blocking the furnace. People love storing paint, Walmart sacks,
scrap lumber, left over ceramic tiles, etc. Please remove all items away from the furnace.
- Water Heater: Clear all the items blocking the water heater. People love storing items
behind the water heater and around it. Make sure all items are removed.The Water Shut Off Valve
is located neat the water heater and removing items helps to locate the valve.
- Closets: Especially closets that hold water heaters and furnaces; please remove everything
in front of the closet that blocks the ability to totally open the doors.
- Attic Accesses: If your attic access is in the garage, then remove your cars. Provide a safe space
in all directions to pull the attic ladder down or to get a ladder up. If your attic access is in your clothes
closet then take out any shelves or clothes that block the ability to put up a ladder. Covering clothes nearby
with a sheet is very helpful.
- Electrical Panels: So many people build shelves around electrical panels or hang things over them. It is
so important and a safety issue to have easy access. 2 1/2 feet around the sides of a panel should be clear and 3 ft in front of the panel should be cleared.
- Outlets: Make sure all outlets are exposed so they can be easily checked especially in the garage area.
- Lights: Make sure all your light fixtures have bulbs that work.
- Basements and unfinished spaces: Clear as much moveable items away from the walls.
- Outside: Make sure your hose bibs have unattached hoses and the exterior is visible without having to move heavy
- Pets: Make sure your pets are confined or sent to a friends house or boarded during the time of the home inspection. They need o feel safe while the home inspector is going through their domain.
Are You Protecting Yourself in the Real Estate Transaction?
How can getting a home inspection with Spradling Home Inspections, LLC
Limit Your Liability?
- We are Nationally Certified through the American Society of Home Inspectors.
The oldest and most respected home inspectors organization in the United States.
To become an ASHI certified Home Inspector we had to:
* Pass the Proctored National Home Inspector Examination.
(Not an Online Test – Not Open Book).
* Complete the ASHI Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics Education Module.
* Had our Inspection Reports successfully verified for compliance with ASHI Standards.
* Submitted valid proof of performance for at least 250 home inspections.
* ASHI Certified Inspectors are the only true 3rd party certified Inspectors.
in the industry that are accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA)
* Only ASHI Certified Inspectors allowed to use the Gold ACI Logo:
* Maintain 20 hours of Continuing Education per year and approved by ASHI.
- Choose Spradling Home Inspections because we are the high-valued inspection company
and Not the low-price inspector.
Trying to save your client $100.00 bucks or so could wind up costing thousands or more
in home repairs. Call us because our prices are based on Finished and Unfinished square footage of the home.
- Do not down play the importance of ancillary inspections for your clients.
Insist Your Clients do these things:
* RADON TESTING. Radon is radiation and we use fully AARST-NRPP certified Corentium Pro Monitors (continuous monitors). Radon is the Number 1 cause of Lung Cancer in Non-Smokers.
It is a Win Win for your clients to test the home they are living in, selling and or buying. One, for their Health and the
other for the real estate transaction. Your clients need to know how much radiation they are breathing!
* Termite Inspection. We are your first line of defense for termites. If we see them, we report them.
This is why we schedule Wingate Pest Management (they invoice separately) to come out at the
time of our inspection to inspect for Termites. They dig for them and this is their expertise.
They also provide our clients with a one year warranty.
* Sewer Scoping and Lagoon Inspections we schedule for our clients with a Certified Inspector to come the
the same day as our inspection. So let us know.
Do Not Short Change Yourself and Your Clients by going for the cheaper inspector and by not providing your clients with the
information they need on Radon and Termites!
We are Your Experts and we work closely with your clients
which provides your transcations with the best outcomes!
Plus, we are open anytime!
Give us a call and we will get your questions answered!
Happy 2020 Call Us Today! 573-268-0780
Stuart ACI#245245 and Melanie ASHI#259803
Spradling Home Inspections, LLC
Our (PHIM) Professional Home Inspectors of Missouri had
our Awesome 8 Hour Educational Seminar the 18th at
Boone Electric Community Rooms!
It was Outstanding!!!
Pictured Left to Right: Mike Rawlings, Bobbi Wilson,
Scott Johnson and Stuart Spradling ASHI#245245 Owner Spradling Home Inspections, LLC
Mark Parlee the Building Consultant spoke and had an amazing Power Point!
Super Lunch by Centurion Stone and tons of Great Door Prizes!!!
Meyerworks, LLC Jim and Lisa Meyer provided our breakfast
Dan Burke, President Elect,
Keith Proctor, President
John Watkins, Past President
Joshua Hoyes, Treasurer
Melanie Spradling, 2019 Secretary, ASHI #259803 Owner of Spradling Home Inspections, LLC
Mike Rawlings, Web Master
Josh Hoyes and Jay Creasy getting ready for the Seminar.
Eric Metzdorf talking to Bobbi Wilson
A gentleman from Topeka Kansas talking to Dan Burke.
It Was a Great Day for Education!!!
Spradling Home Inspections, LLC
This is our 20th Year In Business!!
We went to Wyoming for a week! We get to stay in what we call the Gnome Home!
The Gnome Home is a guest house decorated full of Gnomes that our Aunt and Uncle have.
When their kids, grandkids and we come up, we can stay there!
It is so beautiful where is sits, by the Windriver which flows right next to the cabin!
Our Uncle and Aunt’s Cabin is right next door.
In the Gnome Home there is a cool propane fireplace inside. Uncle Jack always
has us open a window to provide fresh air for combustion.
The Gnome home has Working Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Detector
and Yes I always Check them!
So Vacationers BEWARE!!
I know Uncle Jack does not want to have his best guests,
get sick or something else terrible, because he loves us.
However, when You Go on Vacation to a Destination that is Not uncle Jack’s, YOU MUST PROTECT YOURSELVES!!!
Make sure: (You Do This In Your Homes; But Do You Do This On Your Vacation?)
- Check for Working Smoke Detectors!
- Check for Working Carbon Monoxide Detectors!
- Make Sure You Know and Your Kids Know Fire Escape Plans!
- Always Carry Mini Flashlights in case the electricity goes out!
In loving memory of the Sharp Family
It is Important Before the Next Heating Season to Confidently Know that Your
Furnace is in Great Condition.
We Start Out By Understanding Your Needs, Your Desires for Safe Healthy Living.
We Put A Plan Into ACTION on the Date and Time to Inspect for You.
You will receive confirmation emails on when and an inspection agreement to tell you what we are doing.
Next we explain why you need to have at least
3 services checked on the home you are considering to buy!
One is a FULL HOME INSPECTION
This will help you to see pictures of Marginal and Defective Issues
in the home that could keep you from being safe.
Two is A Qualified 48 Hour RADON TEST
This will help you to determine your health risk for Lung Cancer and Exposure to Deadly Radon Gas.
Do not let ANYONE Talk you OUT OF GETTING YOUR HOME TESTED!!
I have met 6 People over the past 5 years with Stage 4 Lung Cancer from Radon!
Corentium Pro Radon Testing Machines
Stay Away from Lung CANCER
Third is to have a TERMITE INSPECTION
Do not get stuck with termite damage.
Lastly, if you need any other special services we will set them up; like a Septic Inspection,
EIFS Inspection, etc.
We are Your Experts In the Field and
We KNOW What You Should Know in Making the SAFEST HOME BUYING DECISIONS
and to do so you need comprehensive information to guide your way!
Do Not Let Anyone Rush You on Your Journey!
Information Is Your Key to Understanding and Decision Making!
OH MY GOSH!!!
When it is not raining we always do roof inspections by climbing on the roof!
So many home owners do not know that their Dryer vents, vent out the roof!
Check out these vents from some Home Inspections we have done!
I was reading up on things to look for that are signs of a clogged dryer vent,
but it dawned on me that no matter what, our dryer vents need to be cleaned
every 6 months or more dependant on the number of people in the household.
This is the best way to prevent problems!
However, here are several ways to know the signs of a clogged dryer vent:
- A musty odor is discovered in the clothing following the drying cycle
- Clothes seem unusually hot to the touch
- Excessive heat is noticed in the room in which the washer and dryer are operated
- The dryer vent hood flap does not open properly when you use the dryer (this is the slitted vent opening to the exterior of your home)
- Debris is noticed within the outside dryer vent opening
- Large amounts of lint build-up in the lint trap during each cycle
- Odor noticed from dryer sheets used during the drying cycle
Total length of a dryer vent through the attic should not exceed 25 feet and it should be smooth metal,
so that the lint does collect in the vent. Plus it is much easier to clean.
Details we know to look for during your home inspection!
A cool tip is you can collect the lint for your camping trips! It makes a great fire starter!
Call Melanie 573-268-0780
Went into a crawl space one time and look what we found!
This is why it is so important that Spradling Home Inspections, LLC
Inspects Your Home!!
This is a joist holding up the main floor and now it has been
compromised because it has been cut to accommodate the plumbing!
There is nothing holding up the toilet above!
Now when you sit on the toilet the floor will fall through!!!!
Yes this actually happens more than you realize in homes!
We do not think that plumbers do this on purpose, they just are
trying to get things done and do not realize sometimes that
what they might do will cause major problems. It could have been an oversight
but it will come back to HAUNT the Home Owner Soon After Moving In!!
You will hear Jeff Howell’s story about the horrors under his floor!
Could this be the same at your home?
Ok Everybody, the weather has been crazy and it seems like everywhere I go the lightening strikes so close!
I was in Boonville yesterday and I was setting a package on a friend’s stoop and
all of a sudden a Bright White Flash struck so close and then an Immediate KA-BOOM!!!
I totally freaked out and got to the car FAST!!!
I called my friend, who was heading back to the house and he said, “You Must take shelter! On the hill where our
house sits, our chimney has been struck, the cattle in the field have been struck. We have had several trees
struck! ” I got chills up my spine when he told me all of this! The hairs on my neck were standing up!!
So this brings me to YOU-THE HOME OWNERS!!
Keeping your home from going Ka-BOOM is what I want to talk about!
Is it bonded properly and do you know why this is a safety hazard if not bonded properly?
Here is a picture of it!
It is the yellow tubing connected to your black iron gas line!
A nearby lightning strike that does not strike a structure directly
can cause all electrically conductive systems
in the structure; your home, to become energized.
Thus possibly causing an Explosion!
Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) should be electrically bonded
as required by the manufacturer.
The bonding conductor should be permanently and directly connected to
the electrical service equipment enclosure,
the grounding conductor at the electrical service,
the grounding electrode conductor, or to one or more of the grounding electrodes used.
Recommend repairs by a qualified electrician.
For further information on this important safety upgrade, visit
Shocking Pictures from Our Home Inspections!
We have found all kinds of “Totally Shocking” things when inspecting homes!
One time we were inspecting an electrical panel in a garage and on the outside wall above
the panel was the hose bib! The hose bib had frozen during the winter and the valve was dripping onto the panel!
Imagine our SHOCK when we saw that!!! SAFETY HAZARD INDEED!!
Electrical Panels Can Be Totally Shocking!
So Check Out What Was Caught By Surprise When We Opened this Electrical Panel!!!
Hello Mr. Mouse-Starter of House Fires!
Mice love to chew on EVERYTHING! They chew the coverings off of
electrical wires exposing the electrical current which can cause fire!
Here are pictures of the openings in an electrical panel called,
“knockouts” and they are not closed off with approved clamps or bushings!
The Wires In This Panel Have Been Chewed Through!
This is Why You Need Spradling Home Inspections, LLC
The Best Way to Keep Mice Out of Your House:
- Make sure all food sources for mice are out of your garage and around the exterior of your house:
Dog food, trash cans, keep them covered with tight lids, old newspapers, etc.
- Make sure all entry holes in your walls are closed up:
Use foam filling holes that mice can not chew through.
Use steel wool in corners of your garage.
- One of the Best products we have found that kills
mice and keeps them from smelling is CONTRAC
It kills rats, mice and meadow voles!
You want to get this from Wingate Pest Control!
You also want to keep it away from your pets and children!!!
- CALL TODAY! SPRADLING HOME INSPECTIONS, LLC
We love to help you discover the health of your home!